Will devices be interopable in this band.

Tags: broadband, wimax, wireless

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kobe,

There is not an official WiMAX Forum certification profile for the 3.65 GHz band in the US using either 802.16-2004 or 802.16e-2005 protocols.

I am not aware of any vendor plans to perform their own interoperability tests to see if Vendor A's base station will work with Vendor B's device.

For the time being, you should consider all 3.65 GHz products vendor-proprietary.

Best regards,

-Jeff Orr
ORR Technology, LLC
So Mr. Orr with end user devices like lap tops with multi band chips work in 3.65 . Thank you for your help Kobe Wadsworth.
The presence of a multi-band radio does not guarantee support for a specific band or a specific regulatory profile. It has to be supported by design.

First determine the protocol -- 802.16-2004 or 802.16e-2005. A product could be designed using either protocol for 3.65 GHz support. Redline is using 802.16-2004 and Airspan is using 802.16e-2005 on their respective 3.65 GHz designs. Your reply suggested laptop support, so this implies 802.16e-2005 for some portability/mobility. Please note there are also some assumptions made about the base station capabilities based on the matching protocol.

Backing up to the top -- do I expect there will be US 3.65 GHz support in laptops (add-in cards or embedded) this year? No. It might occur in 2009, but I doubt the market demand is there to make portable products in this band. An equal effort on the base station side to support portability/mobility would also be required.

Approach the question from the needs of the market and if 3.65 GHz has mass-market appeal. The biggest opportunity in the US for 3.65 GHz is fixed wireless access for regional services and to address competitive business-to-business broadband. Similarly, I expect most of the portability/mobility interest will remain in the 2.5 GHz and under spectrum for good environmental penetration.

Best regards,

-Jeff Orr
ORR Technology, LLC

Reply to Discussion

RSS

4G360 Partner

Join 65,000 4G Insiders

Discussions

Regarding Interference on wimax sites

Started by samshers singh in 4GTechnology - WiMAX & LTE on Tuesday.

Wimax Equipment and a lot more.

Started by Alex Steffensen in 4G Equipment Apr 10.

Combining WiMAX TDD Radios

Started by JT Tiumalu in 4GTechnology - WiMAX & LTE Apr 9.

Motorola WiMAX Spares Required

Started by Hassan Atique in 4G Equipment Mar 5.

Supplier Day Event for WiMAX Operators at MWC 2 Replies

Started by Sophia Chang in 4G Applications. Last reply by yunky Feb 21.

wimax implementation. 2 Replies

Started by Ajina Khader in 4G Applications. Last reply by Kire Feb 24.

PureWave Quantum 6623 - 5 Replies

Started by RJ in 4G Equipment. Last reply by Muhammad Faisal Aziz Jan 25.

WiMAX 16d GPS sync with 16e 1 Reply

Started by Paul in 4GTechnology - WiMAX & LTE. Last reply by Deepak Gupta Jan 21.

© 2014   Created by Michael Wolleben.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service