• Welcome to 4G360. Connecting 4G Engineers Around the World!

Ask technical questions, find answers to common questions, and learn about 4G engineering developments.

• You have Questions? Our Community will have the answers!

Visit the Forum and Collaborate with over 10,000 4G Engineers. Our thriving forum helps you share information and get answers to tough questions.

• Connect With Our Community of 4G Engineers

Connect and share with thousands of professionals that design, install and maintain 4G networks.

Will devices be interopable in this band.

Tags: broadband, wimax, wireless

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kobe,

There is not an official WiMAX Forum certification profile for the 3.65 GHz band in the US using either 802.16-2004 or 802.16e-2005 protocols.

I am not aware of any vendor plans to perform their own interoperability tests to see if Vendor A's base station will work with Vendor B's device.

For the time being, you should consider all 3.65 GHz products vendor-proprietary.

Best regards,

-Jeff Orr
ORR Technology, LLC
So Mr. Orr with end user devices like lap tops with multi band chips work in 3.65 . Thank you for your help Kobe Wadsworth.
The presence of a multi-band radio does not guarantee support for a specific band or a specific regulatory profile. It has to be supported by design.

First determine the protocol -- 802.16-2004 or 802.16e-2005. A product could be designed using either protocol for 3.65 GHz support. Redline is using 802.16-2004 and Airspan is using 802.16e-2005 on their respective 3.65 GHz designs. Your reply suggested laptop support, so this implies 802.16e-2005 for some portability/mobility. Please note there are also some assumptions made about the base station capabilities based on the matching protocol.

Backing up to the top -- do I expect there will be US 3.65 GHz support in laptops (add-in cards or embedded) this year? No. It might occur in 2009, but I doubt the market demand is there to make portable products in this band. An equal effort on the base station side to support portability/mobility would also be required.

Approach the question from the needs of the market and if 3.65 GHz has mass-market appeal. The biggest opportunity in the US for 3.65 GHz is fixed wireless access for regional services and to address competitive business-to-business broadband. Similarly, I expect most of the portability/mobility interest will remain in the 2.5 GHz and under spectrum for good environmental penetration.

Best regards,

-Jeff Orr
ORR Technology, LLC

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About This Site

This is what my site is all about.

Click Here

Members

Blog Posts

Vodafone first to switch on 700MHz LTE

Vodafone New Zealand is the first of the country’s cellcos to switch on commercial 700MHz 4G LTE mobile services, with a launch at the end of last week in the rural area of Papakura, Yahoo News New Zealand reports.…

Continue

Posted by Zakir on July 23, 2014 at 6:57am

nTelos preparing for another step with 4G LTE service

Parkersburg will be the next part of West Virginia to see 4G LTE service from nTelos Wireless. Company officials said the high-speed data service could be available there, along with parts…

Continue

Posted by Zakir on July 23, 2014 at 6:55am

4G360 Sponsor

© 2014   Created by Michael Wolleben.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service